|Fluidisation and Fluid Bed Heat Transfer Unit (Code -
Fluidisation and Fluid Bed Heat Transfer Unit
Application of fluidised beds is more widespread in industry than is
usually appreciated, covering such diverse fields as power generation to
food processing. The objective of the unit is to investigate the gas
flow through a fixed and fluidised bed and to measure the heat transfer
rate and coefficients for comparison with convective heat transfer rates
Fluidisation takes place within a transparent chamber and the range
of bed material supplied can be rapidly changed. Alternative locally
sourced bed materials and air distributors can be easily utilised for
student project work.
- Fluidised Bed designed for educational studies and using air as the
fluidising medium. The unit incorporates a glass chamber containing the
bed material and an electric heater for heat transfer studies.
- High quality glass reinforced plastic on which the following components are mounted:
- Variable Transformer to vary the heater power input.
- Volt and Ammeter to indicate the heater power input. Ranges 0 to 250 V amd 0 to 3 A.
- Flow Meters to measure air flow through bed. Range 0.15 to 3.5 litres/sec.
- Digital Thermometer to indicate the temperatures of heater surface, air inlet and probe. Resloution 10C.
- Manometer to measure pressure drop through bed.
- Safety Features include fusing and earthing of all components and heater temperature controller.
Experimental Capabilites :
- 250 W Single Phase, 220-240 Volts, 50Hz (With earth/ground)
- 250 W Single Phase, 110-120 Volts, 60Hz (With earth/ground).
- 200 litres free air per minute at a pressure of 200 to 1000 kN m-2 gauge.